Friday, January 29, 2010

Feedback - Make my day...

A MT student I had helped a couple of months ago wandered through the Doucette recently and was kind enough to let me know that a couple of resources I had recommended had really worked well with some grade 12 students.


As I remember, she was working with grade 12 accelerated readers, reading The Kite Runner (823 H794K FIC).  I don’t remember exactly whether she actually asked about supplemental material but I do remember dragging her off to the shelves to show her a couple of great books I thought might work with this unit.  Forsaken by Lana Slezic (958.1 SLF 2007) is enticingly illustrated with photographs (with short, narratives interspersed throughout) that show the lives of women in Afghanistan.  Apparently, the kids were gripped!

Another title that I think supplements studies about Afghanistan is
Under the Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Fisher Staples (823 ST27U FIC) to whom I’m very partial.  This is definitely for the high school crowd and would be less challenging than The Kite Runner.  For elementary students I would recommend The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (823 EL585B FIC).

Other suggestions:

Afghan Dreams by Tony O’Brien (958.1 ObA 2008)  (suggested for gr.7 and up)

Come Back to Afghanistan: a California Teenager’s Story
 by Said Hyder Akbar (958.1 AkC 2005)
(suggested grades 8 and up)


Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriques (958.1 RoK 2007)
(suggested for grades 11 and up)

One last suggestion is Sweet Relief: the Marla Ruzicka Story by Jennifer Abrahamson (361.74 ABS 2006). This is a biography of a young woman who lead the fight against the U.S. government to get compensation for war victims in Afghanistan and Iraq.  The story tells how she became a social activist and how it shaped her life.  A quick and readable book for senior high.

Any others?

0 comments:

Template Design | Elque 2007